Holding the first family reunion is really enthralling. Think of meeting your uncles that you only saw more than 5 years ago, newborn children that you have not met yet, and enjoying various cultures. It is an event to remember for many years. To ensure that everything goes on well and the event a success, you need to know all the dos and don’ts of preparation.
- Start planning in advance: When you prepare an event in advance, it is easy to get everything right from how many people to invite, dispatching invitations, to financing among others. It
- Involve all the invitees during preparations: As you plan a family reunion, it is important to include all the invitees. This gives them a greater attachment to the event. For example, you can ask some members to assist with accounting, decorations, venue selection, or gifts preparations.
- Have a great communication strategy: Communication remains a central thing in preparing a successful family reunion event. Once the time frame has been set, you have to send invites and reminders severally.
- Organize a reunion website for guests: After setting the timeframe, you should consider organizing a reunion website and keep it updated all the time. Most invitees will check on it while others will bookmark and add it to their favorite channels. Make sure to update the page regularly so that readers can know what to expect.
- Carefully prepare the event photography: Once the event is over, you will only remember it through the captured images and videos. Just like other major aspects such as finances, organize videography of event early enough by getting a professional to cover the event.
- Do not ignore the simple steps: In family reunions, it is the small steps that count. For example, you need to check on the sitting arrangement, select the venue carefully, and ensure that the entertainment will appeal.
- Don’t do it alone: Though some people might prefer going it alone, a better option is involving more people. Do delegate responsibilities to some of the invitees so that they can feel part of the organization from the beginning to the end.
- Do not simply rely on verbal communication: When you call to invite a guest to the event, the chances are that they will forget because of other busy schedules. Indeed don’t take into account verbal confirmations because it will cost more and yield less. Rather, you should consider using SMS, direct email, and a family reunion website.
Don’t compare yourself with other family reunions: The biggest mistake you can make when preparing a family reunion is comparing yourself to others. It is important to know that other people have varying motivation and resources to prepare their events. The best thing to do should be getting the right beginner’s guide and ensure to take nothing for granted.